This pleasant and peaceful park was created during the early 1920’s through the imagination, dedication and persistence of several Plymouth women. It encompasses the original garden plot that was granted to Elder William Brewster in 1620. The Pilgrims settled here because of the abundant availability of fresh water of Town Brook and the many springs as well as the thatch that grew along the edges that would provide necessary roofing material for houses.
Today, Brewster Gardens links the waterfront and the downtown business district and forms the beginning of the park lands and trails that follow Town Brook inland to its headwaters at Billington Sea in Morton Park.
Located in the park is the Pilgrim Maiden, a bronze statue by H. H. Kitson. A stainless steel sculpture by Barney Zeitz honoring Plymouth’s immigrant settlers from 1700 to 2000 can also be seen in the park.
Several summer events are located in Brewster Gardens, as well as it being a very popular setting for many wedding ceremonies.