The present Headquarters of the Marshfield Historical Society is the Marcia Thomas House, located at 65 Webster Street. The Marcia Thomas House was originally located on Ocean Street in what is now Marshfield Center. In 1996 when the parent company of Osco Drug Stores wanted to build a new store on the site of the Marcia Thomas House, they very generously sold the house to the Marshfield Historical Society for one dollar, plus contributed $10,000 toward the cost of moving the house to its current location. Some may remember in the Spring of 1997, the sight of the Marcia Thomas House hoisted up on steel girders, slowly being towed down Route 139, through Ocean Bluff, through Brant Rock, through Green Harbor, eventually coming to rest on Webster Street near the Winslow House and the Schoolhouse.
Guided Tours of our New Museum – Join us on Sunday Afternoons for a Private docent-led one-hour Guided Tours of the newly configured Marcia Thomas House Museum are available on the first and second Sundays of the month. More dates are available in the Spring.
Just call Tim Davidson (781) 801-8267 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org to make reservations for 1pm, 2pm, or 3pm guided tours. Please do that by the Friday before the planned guided tour, at a suggested donation of $10 per person.
Since its inception, the Marshfield Historical Society has acquired numerous artifacts, as well as several pieces of historic property. In 1925, the Winslow Schoolhouse, on the east corner of Webster and Careswell Streets, was deeded to the Society, and eventually became the Headquarters of the Marshfield Historical Society in 1968. Each year groups of school children from Marshfield spend a day at the Winslow Schoolhouse learning what it was like to be a student in olden times.