The Pembroke Historical Society was organized in 1950 and incorporated in 1952. The purpose of the non-profit Society is to preserve documents and artifacts of historic interest to the Town of Pembroke, Massachusetts; and shall accept the loan or lease, and responsibility, of any articles or items entrusted to the Society for safe keeping or for permanent placement. The Society shall be dedicated to the preservation of the history of Pembroke and to perpetuate the interest, education, and support of Pembroke residents in the history of our town.
The Historical Society Museum is located on land deeded to the Society by the 1952 Annual Town Meeting. It is the site of the former Town Hall. The Museum is comprised of two former one-room school buildings. The former Bryantville School, built in 1847, was donated by Marcus Urann and moved to the site in 1952. The former “Cedar Swamp School” was donated by Mrs. Oliver Amos and moved to the site in 1968. As part of the nation’s 1976 Bicentennial celebration, a Tool Museum was established in the lower level of the Museum Building.
Peter’s Well, a site that pre-dates the Revolutionary War, was donated to the Society in 1964 by Charles J. Coffin
The Adah Hall House (1685) was deeded to the Historical Society in 1968 as a memorial to its former owner and occupant. It is one of the oldest dwellings in Pembroke. A recent grant from the Mass. Historical Commission funded major repairs to the structure.
Friends Meeting House (1706) was deeded to the Pembroke Historical Society in 1973. It is among the oldest Quaker sites in America. In the 1980’s, a grant from the Massachusetts Historical Commission provided funds for major repairs to the building.